Surviving Irene

So, I spent this weekend surviving Hurricane Irene. We don’t get hurricanes that often where I am, but sometimes Mother Nature has her own plans. Initially it was forecasted to be a Category 4 storm, but when it struck the Outer Banks, it had been downgraded to Category 2 and by the time it hit NYC (where I am) it got downgraded to a tropical storm. There is flooding but not a lot of structural damage, which I’m grateful for. However, there was a whole lot of hype by the media for what eventually turned out to be a minimal hurricane. Rant of the day-I understand that meteorologists can’t always pinpoint the exact strength of storms of this nature as they can be unpredictable. However, making every hurricane out to be the next Katrina does the public a vast disservice. I, along with a number of other people figured that the hype surrounding Irene was overblown as storms of this nature are usually not that strong when they get this far north and ended up not taking the warnings all that seriously. I actually did get some water and some canned goods and made sure I had extra batteries for my flashlight but some people didn’t even go that far. If a stronger storm ever actually did strike NYC, the amount of lives lost might be substantial. People may not take future warnings seriously since the media cried wolf before. Rant over.

Since most of my weekend plans went down the drain with Irene, I stayed in the house for most of the weekend. I did actually go on a date with M on Friday night to a comedy club. We were assigned a table right in front of the stage, which can be an issue since comedians tend to harass the patrons in the front row, but we didn’t have a choice in the matter. Sure enough, the host of the place asked some members in the audience to introduce themselves and say where they were from and since we were right in front of him, we were one of the first people he asked. So I said that we were on our third date and that M lived in the Bronx and I live in Brooklyn. The host went, “Bronx-Brooklyn connection, eh? Good luck.” Some snobs think that if you date somebody outside of your damn neighborhood, they aren’t worthwhile. If you’re with a good person, they’re worth traveling to the other end of the country for under certain circumstances, but that’s just me. One woman comedian went, “It’s your third date and your holding hands? How cute. You know what comes next, girlfriend!” as the audience guffawed. Some of the other comedians kept messing with us too, but we took it in stride. And no, nothing more intimate than kisses happened. At the end of our last date, M stated that he was a gentleman and that he was willing to take it slow, which I really appreciate. Some of my previous relationships exploded over the fact that we were intimate before we really got to know each other as friends, so I won’t make that mistake with M.

I also did go out for some Japanese yesterday, but that was it. The city was on lockdown last night and this morning, mainly because the subways and buses were and are still shut down. Hardly a soul could be seen on the street and for a place as densely populated as NYC is, it was extremely eerie. I never lost power. Also, my apartment building is still in one piece, so nothing happened to it. I can’t say anything for the rest of my neighborhood as I haven’t been outside at all today, but I doubt any substantial damage has occurred.

Since I’ve been on lockdown, I decided to really do some of the things I’ve been wanting to do to my hair for a while but haven’t had the time to do. I did a protein treatment with eggs and mayo. I have very fine hair, so it needs all the protein it can get. Besides, a week and a half ago, I blew out my hair and that can be really drying, so a protein treatment is supposed to restore some of the bonds in it. I know some people think putting food in your hair is gross, but eggs and mayo have been a proven protein treatment for years and they’re cheaper than anything you can get in the store. After putting the food in my hair, I put a plastic cap on it and left it in for about 20 minutes. Some people suggest that you don’t use a cap, but I don’t want the stuff to potentially drip anywhere. So after 20 minutes, I rinsed the stuff out, lo-poo’d with Trader Joe’s Tea Tree Tingle shampoo, conditioned with Suave Naturals, deep treated with Deva Curl’s Heaven in Hair for 20 minutes, then rinsed that out and then flat twisted my hair with Shea Moisture’s Curl Enhancing Smoothie and ORS Twist and Loc Gel for a twist out tomorrow. Protein treatments can leave your hair feeling and looking like straw, so it’s extremely important to do a deep treatment afterward. If the flat twist out comes out nice, I’ll take a picture, provided I even have some place to wear it to. I have no idea if the subways will be running tomorrow, so I don’t know if I’ll be able to go work. That’s the only way I can get around since I don’t have a car. We shall see.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: